DuckDuckGo’s latest offering “App Tracking Protection” has been in beta version for the last year and is now released to everyone as a complete feature that can help you block mobile apps from tracking you.
|Image source: DuckDuckGo
Yes, it is a DuckDuckGo browser feature and works perfectly on almost all the apps from social media to finance and even for games. As per DuckDuckGo’s statement, it works offline and doesn’t store any data even on DuckDuckGo’s servers.
The only downside of the feature is it is not available for iOS users (yes not available for iPhone) but all Android users can now enjoy it for free.
Here’s how to enable this feature:
How to Enable DuckDuckGo App Tracking Protection?
|Image source: Indian Express
If you are using an Android phone, here’s the guide:
- Go to the Play Store and Download the DuckDuckGo browser
- After installation, open the DuckDuckGo browser app, tap on the three-dot menu (at the top right corner
- Tap on the ‘Settings’ option
- Now under the ‘Privacy’ options, tap on the ‘App Tracking Protection’ feature
- Toggle On to enable the App Tracking Protection feature
- Your phone may ask you to allow DuckDuckGo to set up a VPN connection, click on the ‘OK’ button and that’s it.
Congratulations, you are now protected from apps tracking you on the go, you will get to see weekly reports and stats in the DuckDuckGo browser for how many times the feature protected you from the apps trying to access your data.
This might sound like a crazy privacy protection feature offered by a browser app, but the company said that they excluded many apps from tracking protection such as WhatsApp, Youtube, and Android Auto to make them work perfectly as such apps don’t work seamlessly when you are using any tracking protection options from any third-party app.
Whatever, but this DuckDuckGo feature is really a great privacy-focused feature that makes the browser a must try option.