Sleeping is not as easy as lying down and letting sleep happen, often there are circumstances that impair rest. And sleep measurement apps can help make your sleep as restful as possible – we’ve put together for you the best apps for you to know how you rest at night. And without having to use other accessories: your phone is enough.
Acquiring an activity bracelet like the Xiaomi Mi Band 5 or a smart watch like the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 implies not only obtaining a multitude of exercise data, but also what happens when we close our eyes at night. In general, this type of ‘wearable’ accessories (wearables) include sleep recording and analysis among their functions, but it is not an exclusive characteristic of them: only with the mobile can we also analyze how we slept, how was the rest, we will know if we have snored, for how long and a multitude of more information. All you need is a good app: we have chosen the best ones for you.
Sleep as Android
She was one of the first to record the dream using a smartphone, too is one of the best in terms of quality and also features included. And it is that Sleep as Android not only measures the different phases of sleep to offer the data the next morning, it also allows us to find out if we snore during the night and even if we speak in dreams.
Thoroughly analyzing sleep patterns with Sleep as Android, as well as everything that happens during the night, helps to locate problems that make it difficult to rest. Of course, the data should never be taken as guidelines to modify our health: Sleep as Android, like the rest of the apps that we recommend, should only be used as a guide.
The information provided by applications to measure sleep is always indicative: in the event of any serious problem, you must consult your doctor.
Sleep as Android is free, although limited and with ads. To unlock its full potential, you have to acquire the unlock key: it costs 9.99 euros and you only pay once.
Sleep as Android
Like the previous application, Sleep Monitor uses the mobile’s sensors in addition to the microphone to record activity during sleep. It is enough to put the mobile in bed before sleeping so that the app analyze how we fall asleep, the different phases of sleep, ambient noise and the real time of rest. In addition, it offers different alarms and even ambient noise to fall asleep, among many other functions.
Sleep Monitor has a multitude of options, although, as often happens, most of them are paid. Unlike Sleep as Android, Sleep Monitor has a subscription service to unlock the full potential of the software, including the ads: € 5.99 per month or $ 29.99 per year.
Sleep Cycle alarm clock
This application focuses on alarms, although it also records sleep in order to subsequently analyze its quality, phases and duration, how long we were snoring and the real time we were able to sleep, among many other data. The statistics are very complete, although as an app it is somewhat limited if the subscription is not paid,
Sleep Cycle urges you to set an alarm with which to wake up the next day for later record all sleep information with the help of mobile sensors, including the microphone. It offers data backup (with subscription), smart alarm that wakes up taking advantage of the sleep cycle, sounds for easier sleep (with subscription) and more features. The interface is very slick, clear, and offers a remarkable amount of graphics and information related to sleep.
Sleep Cycle alarm clock
Another vitamin alarm app with sleep log, snoring analysis and monitoring. All with a very attractive interface that not only facilitates the management of options, but also understand night charts at a glance. The app uses the phone’s sensors (including the microphone if snoring is recorded) and allows setting sleep goals as well as smart alarms that wake up to ensure maximum rest (the time frame can be adjusted).
Sleepzy offers most of its options at no cost, albeit with advertisements. To fully unlock the entire app, it is essential to subscribe to the service: 39.99 euros per year. There is no free trial to use Sleepzy: just close that window and use the sleep log with or without an alarm.
Tips to improve your sleep record with your mobile
- Place the mobile on the bed. Ideally, place it under the pillow: in this way it will register your movements and also snoring.
- Activate airplane mode. Avoid potential sleep interruptions to ensure you get the best possible sleep.
- Make sure the mobile is charged before sleeping. Our recommendation is that you do not charge the phone while you sleep and record the dream: you could get entangled with the cable. In general, applications do not consume more than 20% of battery during a night (about eight hours in bed).
- You can use a second mobile to record the dream. Since a special mobile phone is not needed for this type of application (they use accelerometers and, to record snoring, also the microphone), it is advisable to use a second mobile phone for recording. This way you will have your main mobile ready in the morning: you can leave it charging overnight.
- If you have a watch or bracelet use them. The mobile works well to perform the sleep analysis, but there is no doubt that a bracelet or smartwatch performs a better record since these devices better record all the changes that occur in the body. Applications like Sleep as Android allow you to combine mobile and accessory: this way you will have much more data, also more accurate.